Catcher's Report

Where we "Catch" you up on the "Team Bryan Stats" that have been "Pitched" into a "Mound" of undone blogs.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Talk About "Kneading" Help


You would think growing up on a farm and having both a mother and grandmother close-by, each able to bake light, gorgeous, delicious bread and perfectly spaced and shaped dinner rolls, that somewhere along the way, I would have acquired the ability to do the same. Nope. Somewhere along the way, I was not blessed with this ability. So I asked for recipes hoping that if I were to just obey them verbatim, I would somehow be victorious. Nope again. Batch after batch, I just couldn't get it right. It was too hard, too dense, too dry, too ... whatever. I felt like a hopeless case, unable to carry on the tradition of beautiful homemade baked goods for my family.

Then it occurred to me. I am NOT a quitter. I decided it was just going to take determination, and practice. Tenacity and grit. Milk, eggs, flour, sugar, salt, and lots and lots of real butter. I was going to get it right, not matter what. I had a dream- and that dream was to make those rolls as light, fluffy and perfectly golden brown as I had ever seen. It was a lofty goal, but I believed it could be done!!

After calling Mom and Jan SEVERAL times, I was blessed with this batch. And you know what? They taste good, too. I still have lots to learn, techniques to perfect, mountains to climb, but for now, I will settle for this 24-roll triumph!!

I would like to thank all those who stood by me in the making of this batch of perfect dinner rolls. For Mom, who never stopped believing. For Jan, who never grew tired of my rants, and if she did, she never showed it. And for my loving husband and family who were willing to eat whatever I put before them and never complained... OK, only complained a little. Thank you all for taking this journey with me. Thank you, and good night!

1 comment:

~LisaLou~ said...

Hello Bryans!
What beautiful family pictures. I love them. Tari, good job on the rolls...as a very challenged cook myself, I can appreciate your beautiful rolls and the effort it took! If you're willing, can you post the recipe? I have been looking for a good roll recipe, but haven't found one yet. My highschool had the best rolls (looked a little like yours) but I have never seen anything come close. I've been craving them for 13 years...ahhh, sadness!
Hope you guys are doing great!
Love ya, Lisa

The Bryan Team


Sign Our Guestbook