Catcher's Report

Where we "Catch" you up on the "Team Bryan Stats" that have been "Pitched" into a "Mound" of undone blogs.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Kendal!! No Foolin'!!

So... Kendal was a "joke on us" so-to-speak. However, he is also the most beautiful joke that has ever been played on us.

I remember living in a tiny apartment in Milwaukee, WI. My husband was finishing school, and I worked for a plasma center as a phlebotomist. I was great with child, but still had 5 1/2 weeks to go. I remember thinking it would be a great April Fool's Joke to play on our family back home in Idaho, to call them and let them know the baby had arrived. The dialogue would go something like this:

Hi, Mom.

Hello, My Beautiful Pregnant Daughter. How are you today?

Great, Mom. I am calling from the hospital to let you know you are a grandmother again.

Oh, that is wonderful!! Is it a boy or a girl??

A girl, Mom. We named her April........ APRIL FOOLS!!!!!


Well, we called everyone back home, and MANY believed it-hook, line, sinker, and lake...... But then it happened. Strange pains I had never felt before. I told my extremely concerned husband I didn't think I should go to work, where he lovingly encouraged me to shake it off and go to work. He even drove me there because I didn't think I could. First time father syndrome, I am sure.

Long story short...Kendal was born by c-section that very afternoon, not 10 hours after our little joke-fest that morning.

Imagine what we went through calling our family again that day. We had already played that joke. They were not about to fall for it again. My sister, Jan, asked to talk to a nurse to be certain it was for real. He was Baby Boy Bryan the first two days because we couldn't decide what to call him. The nurses called him "Peanut".

Kendal Noel Bryan- Born April 1st, 2003- 5lbs 15oz. 17 3/4 inches long, soft brown hair, perfect beginning to our family.


We love you!! Happy Birthday, Son!!!

4 comments:

Jan said...

SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR CRYING WOLF!!!!! But he is a greay kid and we love him!!!
Jan

~LisaLou~ said...

I remembered this story this morning and couldn't help but snicker! Happy Birthday kiddo! Hope you had a very fun and happy day!
Love, Lisa

Billie Jo said...

Love that story! It never gets old. So hard for me to believe that it was 5 years ago?!?!

Laura said...

I remember getting the real phone call late in the evening and being unsure if you were joking! Kendall was so adorable and little! Happy Birthday.

The Bryan Team


Sign Our Guestbook