Catcher's Report

Where we "Catch" you up on the "Team Bryan Stats" that have been "Pitched" into a "Mound" of undone blogs.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Philisophical Ramblings on Gratitude

I have had a tough week, and I can't even say why. I felt sorry for myself for really no reason. I have placed blame for my discontent on everyone but myself. I have really been difficult to endure. I have not been grateful for anything, and I have taken it out on anyone who would hear me. If I have offended you this week, I publicly apologize. I realize now how impossible I have been.

It is amazing the transformation to my soul when I decided to focus on things in my life I am certain makes it better. My mom quotes my grandfather a lot. He said, "Things are just how you think they are." My heart knows that is true, but this week, I guess I just wanted to be below all that.


You know, there is a hymn that says:

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings—wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

It all comes down to how I see things. My life has always been and continues to be filled with extraordinary gifts. I am surrounded by joys I take for granted. I am completely content when I truly count my blessings. I don't think I have to will myself into being happy for what I have, I just need to keep perspective. Even if I was granted every thing I ever thought to wish for, I know I could find reasons to be unhappy.

The things that really matter aren't THINGS.

I have so much. I don't THINK I do... I KNOW I do. I know it is a blessing to have so much to be thankful for...it only took me a week or so to remember that.

Happy Thanksgiving Season to you all!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping this finds you in good spirits. We all have minutes, days, weeks where we lose perspective, thankfully God is patient with us and our friend and family love us despite our moments in the journey.:) You're a rock to so many people- it's ok to have some moments to yourself and sometimes we need the lows to gain greater appreciation for the norm. BTW, I love that hymn... is it wrong to have that as a theme song?.... ok, see i was losing perspective.:)

Jan said...

It's okay to go off the deep end once in a while as long as you come back. . . and coming back having learned something is even better. So now you just can't forget what you have learned and apply it!! I love ya!!

Natalie said...

What a great blog! I can't imagine you having those days, you have always seemed to be such a positive person to me. It is nice to know that although we all have our weakness's it is possible to turn them into strengths!

The Bryan Team


Sign Our Guestbook