Catcher's Report

Where we "Catch" you up on the "Team Bryan Stats" that have been "Pitched" into a "Mound" of undone blogs.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

"She Wore A Raspberry Beret..."


We started out with 24 pints (two flats)..


They were all this gorgeous...seriously!


This is our freezer jam...


And this is the cooked jam I tried!!

I have had this song in my head all day. Maybe it is because I have been elbow deep in the most beautiful raspberries EVER!! I had a great time mashing (with a potato masher), sugaring, and stirring, and stirring, and stirring...

I actually look forward to this time of year. I like to see homegrown (well, okay, not my home, but it is locally grown anyway) fruit and vegetables sealed in clear canning jars. I love to see it all stacked up in our food storage shelves. I love to spend the day with my mom with bandannas over our heads to keep the hair out, and sticky counters...wait, I hate the sticky counters...I mean, let's be real... But all-in-all I really like the whole process of canning. I guess it makes me feel like a Betty in the kitchen. Today was just the beginning of the year. Next comes the peaches, pears, beans, apples, and salsa. I am exhausted just thinking about it.

So I am just going to relish the moment of the raspberries in my freezer and even a few on the food storage shelves.

P.S. Just in case I didn't make myself clear...I like to do MY canning. Just because I like to can does not mean I will can for any of you. I love you all dearly. I just want you to have the same feeling of fulfillment as I do. But call me up; I will definitely come help you!!!

6 comments:

The Wyler Family said...

yum... raspberry jam is my favorite. we're going to go pick raspberries in a few weeks and make some.

Jan said...

You sure are a Betty. I ended up buying some raspberries from Winco and getting 14 pint jars for $48. You got a WWWAAAYYY better deal!!! But there is nothing quite like homemade jam. . . YUMMY!!!!!

Kristen said...

Looks so yummy. I can't wait til I can be as "Betty" as you!

Bonnie said...

Ok Tari where is mine?
:)

Robyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robyn said...

My favorite fruit in life is raspberries! Fresh, frozen, jam and more jam it is totally the best. Wasn't it great to be taught such a great skill in our lives. Mom taught me loads on canning and I'll always be thankfull to her for that. Have fun enjoying the jam!! Anut Robyn

The Bryan Team


Sign Our Guestbook