Catcher's Report

Where we "Catch" you up on the "Team Bryan Stats" that have been "Pitched" into a "Mound" of undone blogs.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Popsicles, Ice Cream, Apple Juice, and Perspective


This is Avery with tonsils.


This is what we look like at 5AM.


This is how Daddy looks at work. He checked on us all day!! What a great Daddy!!


This is her student nurse Randi. She just kept bringing her toys and pajamas and more popsicles than I thought she could ever eat.


I was wrong. She ate every one they brought and kept asking for more. She also made a great dent in the yogurt, the chocolate ice cream, and vanilla pudding they brought, along with an apple tree worth of juice. The gauze is to keep her from pulling on her IV.


Avery underwent a tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy this morning. It is hard to describe that feeling you get when you watch your child go with the nurses toward the surgery suite. It is so difficult knowing you can't follow them. You just go to that empty room and wait. I tried to read, watch TV, sleep...but I couldn't do any of those things. I just ended up sitting and fretting. I think that is just the way I am wired. I knew she would be just fine. I knew because I had peace from the Spirit, but I still had to be human and fret for our girl. She just seems so small to have to worry and endure what the next few days has in store for her. I know. I know. LOTS of us have endured the same thing and even worse than that. But she hasn't yet, and that is what makes it so dreadful for me to watch her bear. I never like to see my kids hurt, even if it is for their welfare. I think it comes with the territory of parenthood. It is a beautiful blessing and an ugly curse.

In two weeks this will physically be over for all of us, but that feeling of watching her suffer will always be part of me. It makes me want to show her how to live her life so that she will minimize the hurt that can come from poor life choices and sin. We all have to learn, and that involves some pain and discomfort, but some heartache is definitely avoidable. It seems a little trite, but the most important thing to me is their happiness...not the kind they get with a new toy or a mountain of candy, but true happiness and real peace.

Yep. Tonsillectomies make me deep. That and sleep deprivation. Tomorrow I will probably be surprised at my deep and personal entry, but for now, I will go get my daughter a popsicle, some medicine, and do whatever else I can do to ease her pain. Tonight and always, that is the most important thing I can do for her.

5 comments:

Kirsti said...

Sounds like quite an adventure for your little one. I love to read about Team Bryan and see how you all have changed since the good old Milwaukee days. I would love to get your email and invite you to my blog! Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Avery.

The Hammers said...

You are a good mommy. It was the worst thing for me to see my kids go to surgery and come back mad as heck. But, good news is, neither the kids or me have been sick since our surgeries this past summer. Let's hope it stays that way all winter. Crappy summer for us, but hopefully it will be the last major surgery we all have to go through. Good luck, I hope she recovers fast.

~LisaLou~ said...

Ah, Terri, you are so sweet. I love you and Cameron. You know, someday she'll look back and won't remember much, except maybe the good things about this experience. I got my tonsils out when I was 4(?) and all I remember is the popcicles. Even Grandpa brought me some! But I don't remember anything else.
Good luck with the recovery. Hope the popcicles work!
Love ya, Lisa
PS. Don't forget to share with the brothers! Keri said she felt a little left out when I got all those popcicles! :)

The Wyler Family said...

glad everything went well. i would be the exact same way in the waiting room!

by the way, are you still planning to run a marathon? i never responded to your request for training tips. if you're still in need of some tips, let me know. :)

Robyn said...

Hope is Avery is doing good. She really is lucky to have them out so young. I even remember the popsicles about 52years ago. Isn't it funny the small things you remember. Aunt Robyn

The Bryan Team


Sign Our Guestbook